I wanted to see if I could find a printer that would print in a traditional fashion but used recycled paper and vegetable inks instead. I found GreenerPrinter! I requested paper samples and I think I may eventually get my business cards from them as they do die cutting as well. I'm all for promoting sustainability in my design work so I'm more than willing to pay a little extra. Also if more people notice that its recycled paper + vegetable inks they may be more inclined to use them as well.
Here's their mission statement:
Greenerprinter's mission is to demonstrate that a manufacturing business can operate in harmony with the planet while providing a transparent and sustainable environment.
Our team believes in the triple bottom line: People, planet and profit. Profit is not the motive, but the means to the end. We recognize that we have responsibility to be a part of the solution to the many environmental challenges that we all face.
We see the road to sustainable manufacturing as a long journey with multiple permutations, but we will never deviate from our commitment to the environment, our employees, our customers and pursuit of a harmonious business model for others to follow.
You can read more about our ongoing efforts toward sustainability in our sustainability policy. Some of the specific steps that we are taking include:
We are also proud of the awards and recognition our green practices have earned us, such as Adobe's Customer Showcase and the Acterra Business Environmental Award. We are based in Berkeley, California and have more than 20 years experience.
- Offering recycled paper. We stock only papers that contain a high percentage of recycled content. In fact, most are 100% recycled.
- Using soy and vegetable-based inks, low in Volatile Organic Compounds.
- Operating as a carbon-neutral business via carbon offsets of shipping emissions and investments of Renewable Energy Credits to offset emissions from operations.
- Investing in state-of-the art equipment to minimize waste in the printing process.
- Using technology to implement streamlined operations that optimize efficiency.
- Minimizing chemical use in the platemaking and printing processes.
- Doing all of our printing on-site, which enables us to maintain consistency and quality and closely monitor our environmental impact.
- Supporting the green movement as a whole by partnering with organizations that promote the transition to a green economy, such as the Green Festivals, Bioneers, West Coast Green, and the Sustainable Industries Economic Forums.